COVID-19 & Nicaragua
Our main concern is making sure your surf retreat in Nicaragua is a great experience from beginning to end—including your preparation! We understand that there’s a lot of travel information out there about COVID, so we’ve gathered the information in one place so you don’t have to worry about searching the internet for the most up to date information.
We know this isn’t the fun part, but no stress—in no time, the only thing we’ll be sharing with you are waves!
- Nicaragua officially reopened to tourism on July 14th, 2020, and visitors from all countries are welcome with proof of a negative PCR test.
- Currently, the only flights available to Nicaragua are through Avianca Airlines.
- Nicaragua does not have any covid-related country bans or restrictions. All nations that could enter Nicaragua before covid are once again permitted to enter under regular visa requirements.
- Most nations visiting Nicaragua do not need to apply for a visa beforehand, as 92 countries can visit visa-free for 90 days, and another 73 countries are eligible for a visa-on-arrival. Visa-free countries include: USA, Canada, UK, Mexico, Australia, and many more.
- Anyone who enters Nicaragua is required to have a “negative for COVID-19” certificate, with a negative COVID-19 test result.
This test must be taken no more than 72 hours before arrival—this includes transits.
- All arrivals will be screened at the airport
- Prior to landing in Nicaragua, airlines must submit photocopies of the passports of passengers and flight crew 72 hours prior for authorization. Contact your airline or travel provider for updates.
- Face masks are required during the flight as well as upon arrival at the Managua airport
No passengers will be allowed to travel:
- With quick or blood test results for COVID-19.
- Do not present the original PRC test results at the airport.
- Do not send to the airline the copy of the test in the times detailed above.
- Who present respiratory symptoms or fever.
- That they do not meet the requirements requested by the country’s authorities.
- There are no quarantines as long as the above testing requirement is fulfilled. We recommend that you check your country of origin’s quarantine information upon return from Nicaragua.
- While not a mandatory requirement, all visitors to Nicaragua should have valid travel health insurance that also covers COVID.
Rise Up Surf Procedures
As Rise Up operates in open-air spaces and all activities, surf lessons, and other activities are outdoors, we do not expect much to change about the Rise Up Surf experience. That said, we have implemented some extra measures to ensure you feel extra safe during your stay:
- Hand sanitizing stations will be set up in key areas in the resorts. All guests are required to sanitize upon arrival, and each time they enter from their rooms.
- Greater distance in lounge and dining areas, yoga space, and during surf classes and video feedback sessions will be implemented—observing the 2m distance rule. Dining will take place in our outdoor rancho and only plated meals will be served.
- We will assign guests a personal yoga mat, block, and strap to use throughout the week. You are welcome to bring your own.
- All our vehicles for airport transfers or surf trips will be disinfected before and after every trip. All drivers will wear masks at all times.
- All team members will be monitored closely and anyone with any flu-like symptoms will be sent home immediately.
- All the staff in contact with guests will wear masks when the 2m rule can not be observed and will change clothes upon arrival.
- Hand washing will take place every 30 minutes, and every 15 minutes for our chef—washing of hands will be mandatory upon each entry to the kitchen.
- There will be an increased disinfection of common spaces.
- Masks and gloves will be worn by housekeeping staff at all times, and changed between each room.
- We will verify daily if guests would like their room to be cleaned or not.
- Rise Up requires all guests to confirm no cold or flu-like symptoms 48 hours from arrival.
- We ask guests to be respectful of other guests and our staff and keep a safe distance— please consider your room/group your bubble.
- We will not enforce distancing as per local Nicaragua policies.
- Masks are not required, but we ask that when unable to safely distance from others, guests use their discretion.
- We ask that guests bring their own masks.
- Unfortunately, testing is not fool-proof and might be taken pre-incubation. We must also acknowledge the potential for travel exposure, post-test results/arrival. Although arriving with a negative COVID test result is required by the government, and we will not require on-site mask-wearing, we do ask that you wear a mask when appropriate such as heading out into the local community.
These procedures are subject to change as new measures may be imposed by the Ministry of Health.
COVID Cancellation Policy
1. $500 US non refundable and non-transferable deposit to book retreat but it will be transferable to another date if we are given more than 4 weeks notice.
2. Full payment due 4 weeks before the start date of retreat.
- Rise Up requires all guests to confirm a lack of COVID symptoms 48 hours from arrival via email.
- Rise Up cannot offer any COVID related refunds once a guest has arrived.
- Once onsite if you present symptoms or feel sick then we will ask you to self-isolate and we will provide all the help we can, to get you to Managua to get a PCR test and treatment if necessary.
- We strongly recommend purchasing refundable airline tickets for travel Nicaragua and also travel insurance that covers all possible issues related to travel including delays or change of schedules.
We will do our best to update this page as requirements change. We highly recommend double checking your country’s guidelines, airline, and/or embassy information.