COVID-19 & Nicaragua
We want your surf retreat in Nicaragua to be an amazing experience from start to finish; which is why we want to make sure you are prepared for the current travel regulations. Travel is a little more complicated than in the past, so we have gathered all of the most up-to-date COVID-19-related travel information in one place for you.
We know this isn’t the fun part, but no stress—in no time, the only thing we’ll be sharing with you are waves!
- You do not need proof of a negative Covid test to enter Nicaragua if you are vaccinated, but you do need proof of your Covid vaccination records to present at the border.
- You need to take a PCR test 72 hours before your flight arrives in Nicaragua (including layover).
- The test results must have a stamp and signature from a certified lab.
- Send or upload a copy of your PCR test to your airline no less than 36 hours before your flight.
- The airlines manage the PCR proof process to get into the country – read the instructions for each airline linked below very carefully.
- Bring a printed copy of your negative PCR test to the airport for proof before check-in.
- Reminder to check flying to Nicaragua updates here
Testing for Return to the United States
There are two options for testing to get back to the US:
The US no longer requires either a negative PCR or an Antigen/lateral flow test to enter the country.
If you are returning to a country that requires a PCR test for entry then we can help to organize this but bear in mind this will take a full day as it has to be done in Managua (a 3 – 3.5 hour drive away).
- So long as the above testing requirements have been met, there will be no mandated quarantine. We recommend checking your country of origin’s quarantine information prior to travel.
- While not a mandatory requirement to enter Nicaragua, all visitors should hold valid travel health insurance with added COVID coverage. Travel Insurance is a mandatory requirement for participating on a Rise Up retreat.
Rise Up Surf Procedures
Luckily, Rise Up operates in open-air spaces and all activities and surf lessons are outdoors, allowing us to continue our retreats. That said, we have implemented some extra measures to ensure the safety and health of all of our guests. Here is how:
- Hand sanitizer will be available in key areas around the resort.
- Greater distance in lounge and dining areas, yoga spaces, and surf classes. Dining will take place in our outdoor rancho and only plated meals will be served.
- We will assign guests a personal yoga mat, block, and strap to use throughout the week. You are also welcome to bring your own.
- All of our vehicles will be disinfected before and after every trip. All drivers will wear masks.
- All team members are monitored closely. Anyone presenting flu-like symptoms will be sent home and tested.
- All staff will wear masks when in contact with guests.
- Hand washing will take place every 30 minutes for staff and every 15 minutes for our chef.
- Common spaces will be regularly disinfected.
- Masks and gloves will be worn by housekeeping staff at all times, and changed between each room.
- We will check in daily with guests to see if they would like their room cleaned or not.
- 48 hours before arrival, Rise Up requires all guests to confirm that they have not had any cold or flu-like symptoms.
- We ask guests to be respectful of other guests and staff – keeping a safe and comfortable distance.
- As per local Nicaragua policies, we will not enforce distancing.
- Masks are not required, but advised to be used upon your own discretion.
- We ask that guests bring their own masks.
- Unfortunately, testing is not foolproof. There is the possibility of pre-incubation and travel exposure. A negative Covid test is a good sign, but in order to protect our local community, we advise wearing a mark when heading out into the village.
COVID Cancellation Policy
- The full payment will be due 60 days prior to the retreat’s start date.
- For last minute cancellations due to Covid we will asses each case on and individual basis bearing in mind that we typically do not offer refunds even in the event of Covid related issues.
- 48 hours prior to arrival, Rise Up requires all guests to confirm by email that they are free of Covid symptoms.
- Rise Up cannot offer any COVID-related refunds once a guest has booked or arrived.
- If you begin to feel Covid-related symptoms upon arrival to the retreat, we will ask you to self-isolate. We will provide all the help we can – getting you to Managua, access to a PCR test, and helping you find treatment if necessary.
- We strongly advise purchasing refundable airline tickets for travel to Nicaragua. It is also now mandatory have travel insurance that will cover any and all travel-related issues including last minute cancellations and any and all costs related to Covid.
We will do our best to update this page as requirements change. Last Updated June 26th 2022.