As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Earth Day amidst a global pandemic, the irony is that many of us have little access to nature and to the ocean. In light of this, we’ve put together a comprehensive list of surf movies, books, music, and art to keep you dreaming until the next time you’ll dip your feet in the water.
Don’t live by the sea or live in a crowded coastal area? No saltwater, no problem.
Luckily for current generations, we stand on the shoulders of those that came before us and those who live amongst us, including seafarers who have documented their story and shared their creativity for us to immerse ourselves in.
Our minds are powerful—where we think, we go. When we look down the face of a wave, we go there. This same concept applies as we can traverse time and space as an ocean adventurer through novels, music, and films.
Even though many of you water babies are far away from the ocean, you’ll still be endlessly inspired until the time you’ll be riding waves again, maybe at one of Rise Up Surf’s beautiful destinations.
So, with this in mind, here is Rise Up Surf Retreat’s list of ideas for bringing the outdoors inside during self-isolation.
- Surf Is Where You Find It by Gerry Lopez
- Swell by Captain Liz Clarke
- Barbarian Days by William Finnegan
- Let My People Go Surfing by Yvon Chouinard
- West of Jesus by Steven Kotler
- Saltwater Buddha by Jaimal Yogis
- Sustainable Stoke: Transitions to Sustainability in the Surfing World by Gregory Borne and Jess Ponting
- Kook: What Surfing Taught Me About Love, Life, and Catching the Perfect Wave by Peter Heller
- The History of Surfing by Matt Warshaw
- Under An Arctic Sky (2017)
- Fish: A Surfboard Documentary (2016)
- A Plastic Ocean (2016)
- Given (2016)
- Thicker Than Water (2000)
- The Wave I Ride: Paige Alms Story (2017)
- View from a Blue Moon (2015)
- Fish People (2017)
- Leave a Message (2011)
- Resurface (2017)
- The Seawolf (2017)
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau (2013)
- Take Every Wave (2017)
- Momentum Generation (2018)
- The Endless Summer (1966)
- Bunker77 (2017)
- Andy Irons: Kissed by God (2018)
- Bethany Hamilton: Unstoppable (2018)
- The Momentum Files (2019)
- Electric Wave: A Next Generation Surf Film
- Alternativa with Kassia Meador, Leah Dawson, and Lola Mignot
- Turning Tides | #RiseOfTheReusables
- Ephemeral by Jason Yeoman
- Mikey in Mex by Matty Snelling
- Be sure to check out Rise Up’s surf videos and tutorials!
- World Ocean Radio: a weekly series of 5-minute audio essays on ocean issues from science and education to advocacy and exemplary projects, with Peter Neill
- Speak Up For The Ocean Blue: raises awareness of the variety of ocean science and conservation projects conducted all around the world, with Andrew Lewin
- Ocean Science Radio: the program focuses on and highlights the latest and greatest ocean science stories that the world has to offer, with Andrew Kornblatt and Victoria Vásquez
- My Ocean: takes listeners on an adventure into the minds of some of the world’s true ocean champions and dives in to the remarkable ways they are protecting our blue planet, with Alexis Brown
- The Green Dreamer: a podcast and multimedia journal illuminating our paths to ecological regeneration, intersectional sustainability, and true abundance and wellness for all, with Kamea Chayne
- Brown Girl Green a climate activist who interviews diverse, boundary-pushing leaders and advocates redefining what it means to be an “environmentalist” in the 21st century, with Kristy Drutman
- Teen Daze/Ian Urbina – “Pink Sky” (check out the Outlaw Ocean Music Project with new albums being released each month!)
- The Darcys – “Ocean Eyes”
- Hollow Coves – “Coastline”
- James Blake – “Can’t Believe The Way We Flow”
- Mac Miller – “Surf”
- East Forest – “Water Sign”
- Jordy Maxwell – “Blue Eyes”
- Petit Biscuit – “Oceans”
- Moniker – “Ocean Blue”
Art & Photography
- Resin Art by Zee Van G (@underthezee)
- Paintings by Bree Brooks (@breebrookz)
- Surf Photography by JJ Midwinter (@jjmidwinter)
- Collage Art by Kalei Raher (@kaleiraher)
- Ocean Photography by Hannah Prewitt (@hannahprewittphotography)
- Surf Photography by Simon Fitz (@smn_ftz)
- Surf Photography by Bryanna Bradley (@bryannabradleyphotography)
- Surf Photography by Jeremy Koreski (@jeremykoreski)
- Lex Weinstein, Surfer and Environmental Advocate (@lex.weinstein)
And of course check out Rise Up’s past in-house photographers:
- Emy Dossett (@salty_see)
- Maja Engberg (@bryannabradleyphotography)
- Dominique Granger (@domgranger.photography)
- Greg Fulks (@fulks)
- Matt Lantz (@freelantz_cr)
And a bonus! Check out Surfer Magazine’s gallery of Empty Wave Perfection!
We hope you enjoy these resources! Let us know what we missed in the comments below.
This post was made in collaboration with Lilly Woodbury, an environmental activist living in Tofino, BC and working with Surfrider Pacific Rim.